Movies & Television: Police, Fire & EMS Vehicles

My favourite movie and TV emergency vehicles were from the the 1968-1972 period:

Schaefer Superior/Cadillac ambulances (c. 1967-1970) with single red two beam rotary beacons (Tripp Lite?) and B&M Super Chief sirens.

San Francisco PD patrol cars (1969-1971 Ford galaxies) - black with white doors;  single red steady burn light on driver's side, spotlight in the middle, speaker on the passenger's side, and two red blinking lights at the center rear position of the car roof.  

I would even venture that these cars and TV shows eventually triggered some vocations for a few members around here.... :undecided:

Reactions: Skip Goulet
Watching "Space Cowboys". In the beginning blac and white segment, after Frank and Hawk's jet crashes, a rescue vehicle and a jeep are seen headed for the crash. The vehicle is marked "RESCUE" and has what looks like a high speed Model 17 on it.

Watching "The Right Stuff". Near the end, after Chuck Yeager's NF-104 crashes, an ambulance is headed to the scene. Roof rack has an electronic siren speaker, a set of Hadley(?) air horns, and a 4 bulb beacon, North American?

Watching "Space Cowboys". In the beginning blac and white segment, after Frank and Hawk's jet crashes, a rescue vehicle and a jeep are seen headed for the crash. The vehicle is marked "RESCUE" and has what looks like a high speed Model 17 on it.

Watching "The Right Stuff". Near the end, after Chuck Yeager's NF-104 crashes, an ambulance is headed to the scene. Roof rack has an electronic siren speaker, a set of Hadley(?) air horns, and a 4 bulb beacon, North American?
Did the ambulance in The Right Stuff look something like this?

rightstuffambulance3.5204.jpg

i344819.jpg

My favourite movie and TV emergency vehicles were from the the 1968-1972 period:

Schaefer Superior/Cadillac ambulances (c. 1967-1970) with single red two beam rotary beacons (Tripp Lite?) and B&M Super Chief sirens.

San Francisco PD patrol cars (1969-1971 Ford galaxies) - black with white doors;  single red steady burn light on driver's side, spotlight in the middle, speaker on the passenger's side, and two red blinking lights at the center rear position of the car roof.  
I found this Schaefer Ambulance Company photo of a fleet similar to what you described

Unknown.jpg

I also found this San Francisco Police 1970 Ford Galaxie set up similar to how you described.

1970_Ford_Galaxie_Custom_SFPD_Police_Cop_Car_Front_1.jpg

1970_Ford_Galaxie_Custom_SFPD_Police_Cop_Car_Rear_1.jpg

This 1962 Ford Custom has the siren speaker on the passenger side and no beacon.

4de6846ad6dfa27a7fee6ab56db3e093.jpg

Here is a 1972 Ford Custom 500 from San Francisco PD with an interesting warning light set up.

72 Ford Custom 500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also found this San Francisco Police 1970 Ford Galaxie set up similar to how you described.
Yep, that's close, but the cars I saw had no beacon and there was a chrome speaker (probably a Federal SA-24) on the passenger's side.  I saw the cars on McMillan and Wife and Ironside.

Yep, that's close, but the cars I saw had no beacon and there was a chrome speaker (probably a Federal SA-24) on the passenger's side.  I saw the cars on McMillan and Wife and Ironside.
How about this 1969 Ford Custom from the Streets of San Francisco?

69 Ford Custom.jpg

I got to watch "Lone Wolf McQuade" all the way through last night for the first time in a very long time.  In response to some comments about the beacons on McQuade's Dodge RAM, both beacons appear to be 17s. I got a good look at them on my new wide-screen TV this time.  The right beacon has a traditional Federal name tag, but the one on the driver's side appears to be one of the Federal Laboratories' tags.  Federal Labs' lights and sirens were all built in the Federal plants either in Chicago or Blue Island but had their own model numbers.  The beacons on the TX DPS unit appear to be Sirenos.
I found this picture of the light bar on McQuade's truck.

capture2iec1.8863.jpg

There are a couple pics of the lone wolf truck in a thread on here, a member had inquired about it to build a replica

I would even venture that these cars and TV shows eventually triggered some vocations for a few members around here.... :undecided:
You hit that nail on the head.   Back in the '60s Emergency! was largely responsible for numerous paramedic services being established in this country along with a lot of guys who would've remained EMTs that also became paramedics.  I got my first EMT certification in 1974 when Emergency! was still relatively new.

Schaefer and Goodhew were the two most well-known ambulance services in and around Los Angeles.  Scahefer remains in service to this day, but Goodhew was acquired by AMR a few years ago.

While I never got to meet him in person, I had the opportunity to talk to "Papa Walt" Schaefer on the phone a number of times back in the early '70s when my standby service was getting off the ground.

Did the ambulance in The Right Stuff look something like this?

attachicon.gif
rightstuffambulance3.5204.jpg

attachicon.gif
i344819.jpg

Dat's it!!  Ridley is riding shotgun.

Some of the San Francisco cars I've seen on TV had a single red light facing front with an amber facing rear and the single SA type speaker like you mention.  What you might've liked was the episode on Emergency! where Roy and Johnny were in San Francisco, and in one sequence they rode with a Batt. chief to a fire. The car only had a single red spotlight and a nice-sounding underhood doubletone siren.  Did you get the PM I sent?

You hit that nail on the head.   Back in the '60s Emergency! was largely responsible for numerous paramedic services being established in this country along with a lot of guys who would've remained EMTs that also became paramedics.  I got my first EMT certification in 1974 when Emergency! was still relatively new.
Not me, Rescue 8 got me started. Got my Red Cross Advanced First Aid card in 1969, running with volunteer squad outside Philly. Man, I was 'almost' a doctor!!

EMT in 1978, IV Tech in 1981, Cardiac tech in 1984, paramedic in 1987. Still at it!!

I'm sure you mean "Back in the 70's" as Emergency started in 1972.

I'm sure you mean "Back in the 70's" as Emergency started in 1972.
That was a typo on my part.  I did mean '70s.

Not me, Rescue 8 got me started. Got my Red Cross Advanced First Aid card in 1969, running with volunteer squad outside Philly. Man, I was 'almost' a doctor!!

EMT in 1978, IV Tech in 1981, Cardiac tech in 1984, paramedic in 1987. Still at it!!
I loved watching Rescue 8 back in the late '50s.  I've seen the original panel that was used in the show.   My first EMT cert. came in '74, but in Texas for many years you could get by with a Red Cross card to be ambulance personnel.  My first First Aid card was in 1960 at the age of 15, which I used at Ellis Funeral Home here in Midland and from '63 to '66 at Rix Funeral Home in Odessa, and Chapel of the Roses Funeral Home, Odessa, until they ceased ambulance operations in '67.  Made the move to Lubbock in '68 where I got my first Advanced First Aid card later that year.  In 1969 I received my first First Aid Instructor's certificate.  That spring my REACT team had begun providing first aid at the local race track, using the old track ambulance, a '60 Chevy wagon.  After having worked all through the Lubbock tornado in May of '70 the track gave us the old ambulance, which freed us up to work events outside that track.  In 1971 I was given a '63 Pontiac Consort ambulance by the late Joe Summers of Summers Coach in Duncanville (ever see their place, Hi-LO?).  In '72 the REACT team totally "folded", but with the Pontiac I continued to serve not only the original race track but the drag strip strip which opened either in '72 or '73 as Metro-Alert Ambulance  In 1973 we got the first-ever ECA (Emergency Care Attendant) classes in Lubbock, followed by the first EMT classes in late '73 for which only employees of Lubbock County EMS were allowed to attend; but in '74 the rest of us got to go through the class.   The interesting thing is despite the availability of ECA, EMT and then Paramedic classes c.1975,  Texas allowed the use of Red Cross certification until the early-to-mid '80s. And it was until '83 or so that Texas required 18 as the minimum certification age.  Prior to then we had EMTs and ECAs as young as 15.   And before you raise your eyebrows over that one....some of "my" 15-year-old ECAs and EMTs outperformed a lot of the adult EMTs we had.  At one time Lubbock had two or three private ambulance companies, including ours.   We shut down in 1991 when I returned to Midland, and since then for some reason, no one has been able to successfully compete with AID Ambulance in Lubbock in the private sector.  AID opened in August of '68 as one of two ambulance services. The other was Henderson Funeral Home, which ceased ambulance ops in 1972.That left AID as the sole emergency provider until Lubbock EMS opened.  We were never considered competition to AID because we never did anything other than our standby services for sporting events; but we did so all over West Texas, going as far east as Dallas and northeast to the Childress area.    I was totally away from EMS  from '91 until 2003 when I re-started my standby service here in Midland.   That went fine until November of 2004 (next Monday will be 10 yrs) when I suffered a severe MI when I was about to conclude my first-ever paramedic class. After recovering from 5 bypasses I went back to work with the standby service; but the one race facility that we were working closed suddenly in the summer of 2005, and decided then that enough was enough and graciously retired my standby service.

Reactions: JazzDad
How about this 1969 Ford Custom from the Streets of San Francisco?

attachicon.gif
69 Ford Custom.jpg
Yep, that's the one.

Schaefer and Goodhew were the two most well-known ambulance services in and around Los Angeles.  Scahefer remains in service to this day, but Goodhew was acquired by AMR a few years ago.
I've seen the Goodhew Superiors, but I like the Schaefer ones more.

That triple lightbar is great!

post-22008-0-48705700-1415577505.jpg

love the triple lightbar
This Dodge van appeared in a lot of TV shows and movies.   As I've mentioned before, I always thought that "Kojak" was taped/filmed in NYC, but that van has been in a couple of episodes along with a couple of the ambulances used on Emergency!.

Yep, that's the one.

I've seen the Goodhew Superiors, but I like the Schaefer ones more.
Goodhew for the most part kept their ambulances in traditional colors, but Schaefer's company colors were always the white and "rootbeer" colors.

Courageous.jpg

Bad angle, bright sunlight, white (?) light all add up to not being able to see the flash much, but it is on.

Hello "348",

First of all let me just say that your contributions here are UNBELIEVABLE. So thanks for sharing.

Next... what is with the occasional blue lights you'd see on ambulances from shows set in California? I've posted the same question elsewhere but no one seems to know.

Lastly... is that an "F&B" ambulance (from Mother Jugs & Speed) making an appearance on CHiPs!?
I think I found another sighting of the same 1969 Cadillac F & B ambulance on Charlie's Angels.  You can't see the mechanical siren because of the angle but if you look at the housing for the forward facing sealed beam red lights above the cab, they have the accent piece that runs down the side of the raised roof.  The F & B ambulance in CHiP's has the same housing for the sealed beam lights.  The Cadillac ambulance in Mother, Jugs & Speed does not have the same housing for the forward facing red sealed beam lights above the roof.  The mechanical siren is also different when you compare the CHiP's photo and the Mother, Jugs & Speed photo.  What do you think?

69 Cadi charlies angels.jpg

chips Cadi.jpg

mjs.jpg

I think I found another sighting of the same 1969 Cadillac F & B ambulance on Charlie's Angels.  You can't see the mechanical siren because of the angle but if you look at the housing for the forward facing sealed beam red lights above the cab, they have the accent piece that runs down the side of the raised roof.  The F & B ambulance in CHiP's has the same housing for the sealed beam lights.  The Cadillac ambulance in Mother, Jugs & Speed does not have the same housing for the forward facing red sealed beam lights above the roof.  The mechanical siren is also different when you compare the CHiP's photo and the Mother, Jugs & Speed photo.  What do you think?

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
chips Cadi.jpg

attachicon.gif
mjs.jpg
These are two different cars.  You can tell the difference by the tunnel lights.  The car with the Q on top is a Superior Cadillac.  Not sure about the one with the Super Chief.

I :wub:   this thread

Very awesome to see such a variety of vehicles from so many different movies and tv shows, an very interesting to see the history as well. 

A bit different from what has been posted,  this truck has not been on any tv shows or movies (yet), but it has been on tv. I am certain many of you have seen it:

The cool part for me is that this ladder truck belonged to a local fire department that bordered former fire departments of mine. I had operated on scene with it many times, so it's neat to have a connection with a "famous" truck.

The Mother Jugs and Speed pro-car ambo is 1971-1973 era Superior.

The Charlie's Angels / CHiPs pro-car ambo is a 1969-1970 era Superior.

Same builder, two different body styles.

Mother, Jugs & Speed movie trailer

Memories, memories!    When this show appeared locally in Lubbock, the theater that showed it "borrowed" one of my ambulances...a '66 Olds...to advertise the movie.  The red ambulance sat in front of the theater with posters all over it.   During the movie's run there all ambulance personnel were allowed to see the movie for free, provided that they come in uniform and in an ambulance.

Anyone else remember what "F&B" stood for?

Very awesome to see such a variety of vehicles from so many different movies and tv shows, an very interesting to see the history as well. 

A bit different from what has been posted,  this truck has not been on any tv shows or movies (yet), but it has been on tv. I am certain many of you have seen it:

That's cool.   What I liked was the TV commercials for "Roundup" herbicide. They used an old '63 International TravelAll ambulance that belonged to Metropolitan Ambulance in Amarillo.  Metropolitan's owner, LaWayne Guengerich was a good friend of mine when I had my ambulance service in Lubbock.  In 1969 after the International was retired he gave us the old truck and we used it for a couple of years.

Nice.   Back when the movie first came out, we were one of the few ambulance services still using coach-type ambulances. In fact we retired our last Pontiac Consort in '84 when the state started requiring high top vehicles.  I used to get a kick out of kids hollering "Ghostbusters" when we'd drive by in one of our big Oldsmobile ambulances or one of the Consorts.

Memories, memories!    When this show appeared locally in Lubbock, the theater that showed it "borrowed" one of my ambulances...a '66 Olds...to advertise the movie.  The red ambulance sat in front of the theater with posters all over it.   During the movie's run there all ambulance personnel were allowed to see the movie for free, provided that they come in uniform and in an ambulance.

Anyone else remember what "F&B" stood for?
Fish and Bine... Sounded better than just Fishbine. lol...

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
chips Cadi.jpg

attachicon.gif
mjs.jpg
You're right. The movie ambulance doesn't have those accented sealed beam housings. "Wailer" indicates they're two different rigs. He's probably right. I wonder if both versions are seen in the movie. How else would you explain the F&B livery on the rig seen on the shows?

"Rescue 1" beat me to it.... "Fish and Bine."

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrmills2468