Federal Signal PA300 mic clicking but not broadcasting

12V71

Sep 7, 2023
Texas
Hello all. Long time watcher, first/second time poster. I wanted to ask as I don’t know a ton about this kind of thing. I have had my federal signal PA300 paired to my BP100 speaker on my OBS ford f150 for about a year now. I recently had some mechanical issues and had some work done on the truck. Nothing regarding the PA/speaker system was touched, however it sat outside in the sun for a couple of months (the mic is mounted to the dash).When I got it back, the microphone no longer broadcasts my voice with the system in ‘manual’ mode. All other functions work, all sirens (wail, siren, you name it) and the horn/siren switch works. Even the little clicking on the receiver can be audibly heard throughout all ranges of the gain switch volume levels. For some reason though, I cannot get the microphone to broadcast my voice at all. Please advise. For reference I have what I presume to be the later style telephone/ethernet cable style microphone connection.

12V71

Sep 7, 2023
Texas
Also pl
Hello all. Long time watcher, first/second time poster. I wanted to ask as I don’t know a ton about this kind of thing. I have had my federal signal PA300 paired to my BP100 speaker on my OBS ford f150 for about a year now. I recently had some mechanical issues and had some work done on the truck. Nothing regarding the PA/speaker system was touched, however it sat outside in the sun for a couple of months (the mic is mounted to the dash).When I got it back, the microphone no longer broadcasts my voice with the system in ‘manual’ mode. All other functions work, all sirens (wail, siren, you name it) and the horn/siren switch works. Even the little clicking on the receiver can be audibly heard throughout all ranges of the gain switch volume levels. For some reason though, I cannot get the microphone to broadcast my voice at all. Please advise. For reference I have what I presume to be the later style telephone/ethernet cable style microphone connection.

Please note I am very new to sirens as a whole (total beginner). So I may need things to be explained in more depth than most people on this forum. Thanks in advance for all the help.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
For reference I have what I presume to be the later style telephone/ethernet cable style microphone connection.

The microphone may be bad. Replacing the microphone with a known-good microphone is the quickest way to confirm. Does anyone you know, or possibly a nearby agency with whom you have rapport, have a PA300 that you can briefly swap microphones with?

12V71

Sep 7, 2023
Texas
I do not believe so, no is there a good place to get such a unit tested repaired? In the general Houston, TX area if it helps. As I said, the clicking noise is audible, but no voice is transmitted.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There must be many hundreds, if not thousands, of PA300s and other Federal Signal sirens that use this style of microphone in service in the greater Houston area.

Another member here may be able to test and repair your microphone. However, replacing the microphone in its entirety may represent a cost savings as compared to shipping the microphone out and paying for repairs.

Your profile lists your occupation as Student. Are you affiliated with an emergency response agency of some kind? Are you a collector or a hobbyist? Tell us more about your situation so we can point you in the direction that makes the most sense.

12V71

Sep 7, 2023
Texas
I am simply a hobbyist, I know very little about this kind of thing, in all honesty I simply wanted a PA system in order to communicate with others on the road and on jobs. I have ordered a replacement mic from eBay that should arrive today. It is the older style 3 socket connection, but my PA300 is the newer style telephone/ethernet cable connector. Will I be able to swap them and if so what is the best way to do so? Should I just splice in the new mic? Are the small wires going to match colors on new vs. old mic or will I need to determine which wire old wire hook up to the corresponding new wire?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It sounds like you purchased a microphone from eBay that is not identical to the microphone your siren uses. This may complicate things.

I understand that there are two common types of transducers in PA microphones: carbon transducers and magnetic transducers. Unfortunately, that's where my knowledge ends.

I cannot say which generation or generations of PA300 expect a microphone with a magnetic transducer or which expect a microphone with a carbon transducer. I also cannot say which type of transducer may have been used in which generation of microphone.

@Wailer may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NearlyEpoint

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.