Federal Signal Need information on Federal Signal Strobe Highlighter

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Just picked up this FS Strobe Highlighter and I'm trying to figure out what inner domes are compatible and possibly the part numbers for them? Looking for blue, red, and/or green. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!1000009583.jpg1000009584.jpg

Wiring for the J22 version (older, not what you have).
hl stb.PNG
Exploded view for the older style, note the power supply in the middle. Also the parts list does not list colored domes for the strobes at this stage.
old hl splode.png

More modern version like what you have (smaller potted power supply).

high stb quad.PNG

I'm pretty sure they used this dome, which came in all colors. They were WAY more common in amber.
dome hl.PNG
They were more commonly sold via target tech/amber markets
ustar.PNG

This was the tall dome Federal used from 1999-2005-ish (from what I can find), it was threaded at the bottom. It was an amber product 95% of the time. So while there were all colors of domes, they are far more common in amber and clear.

So yes, you could swap in some colored domes, they just aren't common. Keep a look out for misc strobe domes with a threaded bottom on eBay and other sites, they aren't usually listed as Federal as the sellers usually have no idea who made them. Also, Federal wasn't the only company with threaded domes so be careful. Your plan is possible....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the information, John!

I had a local friend do some research for me as well and thinks the internal strobe domes are actually Pulsator 551s, due to the lip and characteristics. It would be nice to find something besides amber.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information, John!

I had a local friend do some research for me as well and thinks the internal strobe domes are actually Pulsator 551s, due to the lip and characteristics. It would be nice to find something besides amber.
That's likely correct depending on the time-frame. The internals were whatever Federal was using for 360 mid/high dome strobes at the time. The Pulsator 55X series would be the mid/high dome Federal strobe for more recent offerings. You can still get domes I believe because they made an LED version. Here's the part number.

Part Number: 208668-95

pulsator d.PNG

Although discontinued, there may be stock out there still
dc.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scannerdude