Resource for vintage siren sound effects

Jun 4, 2012
New England
OK, a few months ago, I was messing around, looking for information on Back to the Future, and I found a wiki dedicated to sound effects, not only cataloguing the sounds themselves, but also movies/TV shows/video games/whatever that the sounds were used in. Of course, among them are various siren sound effects, from vintage to modern. Here are a few examples:

https://soundeffects.fandom.com/wiki/Sound_Ideas,_SIREN,_POLICE_-_ELECTRONIC,_STEADY_02 - Federal Signal PA-15/PA-20 running in "Manual" mode, heard in many TV shows and movies from the 60s to the 80s.

https://soundeffects.fandom.com/wiki/Sound_Ideas,_SIREN,_EMERGENCY_-_YELPER_TYPE,_STEADY - Federal Signal PA-15A/PA-20A Series E running in "Yelp" mode.

https://soundeffects.fandom.com/wiki/Sound_Ideas,_SIREN_-_CONSTANT_WAILS_AND_YELPS - Unitrol 800 running in "Wail" and "Yelp" modes

Reactions: CrownVic97

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have all the major variations of the Federal electronic sirens that sound similar to the sound effects in TV shows and movies.

On the left is a PA20 (low pitched tones, early to mid-1960s)
In the middle, a PA20A series 2D (low pitched tones, late 1960s - very early 1970s)
On the right, a PA20A series 2E (high pitched tones, early 1970s - very early 1980s)

Federal Interceptor siren circuits.JPG

Jun 4, 2012
New England
I have all the major variations of the Federal electronic sirens that sound similar to the sound effects in TV shows and movies.

On the left is a PA20 (low pitched tones, early to mid-1960s)
In the middle, a PA20A series 2D (low pitched tones, late 1960s - very early 1970s)
On the right, a PA20A series 2E (high pitched tones, early 1970s - very early 1980s)

View attachment 251075
Yeah, I remember you had a website that not only showed off all the vintage Federal electronic sirens, but electronic sirens of other makes. That was partly how my interest in vintage emergency vehicle equipment blossomed. Someday, I hope to own stuff like this, especially since I love collecting military and emergency services gear, but until then, I'll just be lurking for the most part.

Jun 18, 2013
PA

Federal Dealer tone demonstrator.. uncommonly has all its sound cards still in it.

Jun 4, 2012
New England

Federal Dealer tone demonstrator.. uncommonly has all its sound cards still in it.
Fascinating! I never knew such a device existed! I'm wondering about the siren tones, though. I wanna say they're from a PA-15A/PA-20A Series E, but obviously, neither of those - nor any related sirens such as the PA-70/PA-100, PA-150/PA-200, etc... - had the weird tones such as "Stutter" or "Horn". I will admit, though, the "Horn" reminds me of the "Alert" tone from the original PA-15/PA-20.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.