Black top code 3 dash laser

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
As I have been going through storage lights I came across my old red dash laser from 2001. I bought new, it was shipped with an amber dome but I purchased a red dome as well for FD use. The red dome has a black top as well as base. This was bought new with the light. I have looked and haven't been able to locate anything similar on the site. It is not a spray painted dome that I can tell, it looks factory. If anyone in the know can enlighten me about this I would appreciate it. The reflector has a metal sun shade attached to the top. See attached pictures.

Chris

Attachments

• 20240507_150407.jpg
    20240507_150407.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240507_150448.jpg
    20240507_150448.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240507_150450.jpg
    20240507_150450.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240507_150545.jpg
    20240507_150545.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: kitn1mcc
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have an amber one that is the same. I have no reason to doubt it's factory. I believe the tab you are referring to on the top of the reflector is a heat shield for the dome.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This is a first generation Dash Laser. The black surfaces, (sun shade and bottom trim), are indeed factory. The second generation had some engineering revisions some of which included removing the black from the dome, and a different reflector design. This particular light has the newer reflector design, and the older dome design.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The second generation had some engineering revisions some of which included removing the black from the dome, and a different reflector design
What is different about the reflector? Mine looks to be a standard MX type reflector on a different base.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Great info, thanks for the information!

The red dome although new, must have been older stock.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Correct. I actually like the black.
I am a big fan of anything on top of a light that acts as a sun shade. My take on the concept is "can't hurt, might help".

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The larger folded over heat shield on the newer Dash Laser was large enough to actually serve as both a sun shield and heat shield. This may be why the cost saving step of not painting was done. Having the heat shield being part of the reflector also saved the cost of making and attaching a separate piece acting as heat shield. in the older version. Multiple cost savings, and fewer parts and steps while accomplishing both heat and sun shielding.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The larger folded over heat shield on the newer Dash Laser was large enough to actually serve as both a sun shield and heat shield. This may be why the cost saving step of not painting was done. Having the heat shield being part of the reflector also saved the cost of making and attaching a separate piece acting as heat shield. in the older version. Multiple cost savings, and fewer parts and steps while accomplishing both heat and sun shielding.
Good point. When they were really trying Code 3 designed some good metal rotators.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.