Whelen Universal Flasher Question

A quick question on Whelen's Universal Flashers. Can (most) flashers externally flash and sync lights that don't come with a sync wire? Also, my understanding is that each outlet/output can control/flash 1 light, I'm no electrician, so I'm probably wrong on that if someone would like to correct me, please do.

The Whelen ULF44 is rated for five amps per output, of which it has four, or 20 amps total. So long as your lights have a steady burn setting and illuminate with no delay once power is applied, the ULF44 should meet your requirements.

Ah, good to know, thank you!
As for the flashers capabilities, is it possible to hook up simple 2 wire power/ground lights and have for example, the ULF44 have them flash in sync with each other?

Yes. That is possible
Of the four channels (outputs), two pairs are synched opposing each other.

That is true for patterns on Phase A, where outputs 1 and 2 alternate with outputs 3 and 4. The flash patterns and pattern phases are described in the PDF of the installation instructions linked above.

Alright, so I looked at another PDF and saw that part 9 is a 2-channel flasher used for all the flash patterns, including the TA, presumably. Anyone know if it is possible to configure a similar 2-channel ULF22 to upgrade a basic flashing bar? This sort of ties back to my other thread on modifying a TA into a 60" Liberty I, seems more relevant for this thread. So in other words, I see the Crown Vic rear deck Inner Edge uses a 2-channel flasher, and if it is the same flasher found in the 60" Tow bars, could they then gain TA functionality through a new 2-channel setup the same way as the Crown Vic Inner Edge?

Just a question out of curiosity, I don't currently have a bar that I need to upgrade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116_021602.png
    Screenshot_20230116_021602.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230116_070630.png
    Screenshot_20230116_070630.png
    326 KB · Views: 5
I see the Crown Vic rear deck Inner Edge uses a 2-channel flasher

Look closely and you will see that part 9 applies only to the Iowa DOT variety, but not the other three models listed there. This appears to be an additional part, requiring 11 conductors in the harness rather than 9.

A 2-channel flasher cannot make TA patterns. It would take an 8-channel flasher to drive 8 lightheads in sequence. Something like the Whelen TACTL5 might serve you well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup