Lumen info

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Is there any documents available listing the lumens of Whelen warning lights?

I only ever see it referenced on scene lights.

Thanks,

RK

There are vast differences in perceived brightness among class 1 rated lights, some are so poor that I'm mystified how they got a class 1 rating (the FedSig UltraStar LED beacon comes to mind, but there are others). Your question is a good one, it's kind of like vehicle headlights, they all meet the SAE spec but some are far better than others.

This article might be of interest:
This says so well what I always complain about. Good lights used badly become bad lights. Modern major manufacturers all make lights suitable for various applications. The failures are almost always the installation or usage. A pair of halogen flashers aimed properly and flashing at a steady rate beats a pair of the most modern LEDs on "goofy split multi-color blob mode". I would like to see not only lumens listed but also better information about how to utilize products to get get maximum effectiveness. I would like to see companies state that ratings and compliance are not maintained when utilized in certain ways. Chicago's ambulances are a great example of otherwise decent lights being worthless due to setup.

Compare

to

The second video likely has more total lumens, but I question the effectiveness.

Reactions: 167 and firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup