how to test speakers?

emtmike

May 24, 2010
brooklyn,ny
im looking to find out how to test speakers to see if they work, i have a sho me and a dynamax i want to test out

thanks

ffemtmike

Connect the speaker leads to an ohm meter. You should get a reading of approximately 4 ohms if the speaker is good.

If the reading is significantly lower than 4 ohms, the speaker has a short.

If the reading is infinity, the speaker has an open.

Be careful confusing resistance and impedance, a 11 ohm IMPEDANCE speaker driver will measure about 4 ohms RESISTANCE with a VOM. To measure a speakers impedance requires additional electronic instruments and can vary depending on input frequency.

Henry455 said:
Be careful confusing resistance and impedance, a 11 ohm IMPEDANCE speaker driver will measure about 4 ohms RESISTANCE with a VOM. To measure a speakers impedance requires additional electronic instruments and can vary depending on input frequency.

Thanks! My mistake. I have corrected my post, above.

It does not matter which wire is + or - when testing. Those things only matter when you are running a dual speaker system. You are listening for a pop or a click when the battery terminals touch the wires, or a series of clicks when the wires are dragged across the battery terminals.

On the back of the Dynamax there are two holes. Can these be used to test the resistance by putting the voltmeter leads into them (and touching the parts inside, obviously)? I think I just blew the Dynamax in my County ride today and am trying to fix/replace it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup