"Federal Signal Viper S2" knockoff

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I saw one of these things are a regional training event, and I thought it was pretty bright. So, I wandered down into the bowels of ebay and bought the cheapest one I could find. On the listing, it never mentioned "Federal Signal". The description was "16 LED warning light". I think one of the pictures in the listing showed a FedSig label. I figured they just used a picture from FedSig's website. I paid a whopping $18.

After a couple of weeks shipping from China, the following is what I got.

Packaging: LOL yeah, right.
ai1148.photobucket.com_albums_o578_vonirkinshtine_Adventures_22ff3cc8dd68218d7211c9f5c00bf2b4d.jpg

In the box: 1 warning light, 1 flashback shield, 1 mounting bracket, 3 suction cups.
[Broken External Image]:http://[URL=http://s1148.photobucke... firefighting/20170413_151615_zpsogwozbax.jpg
ai1148.photobucket.com_albums_o578_vonirkinshtine_Adventures_2dda84250507dfa8928e8c7d6b04b7a00.jpg

Close up of LEDs: Solder joints look good enough. The diodes don't look that great. A lot of surface imperfections on the lenses.
ai1148.photobucket.com_albums_o578_vonirkinshtine_Adventures_28d34e2d6faceb90e87d5d0575baa91aa.jpg
ai1148.photobucket.com_albums_o578_vonirkinshtine_Adventures_2bff6e61b1959bce37ca2853fc276e7f2.jpg
ai1148.photobucket.com_albums_o578_vonirkinshtine_Adventures_22dd279a4c8bdbef928aa618f05b8165f.jpg

I have it running on a lab power supply right now. I'll turn it off for the long weekend. But when I get back to work next week, I'll let it run for a full day and see how it does.

Initial impressions are that it is friggin' bright! Video to come soon.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw a similar picture on an Amazon review. No question it probably uses the cheapest material possible. But, if I know that going in, I can adjust to improve its survival (thermal shielding, good ventilation, etc). I will do a full deconstruction after today's 8hr run test.

I turned it on around 6:30am. I'll get some thermal imaging readings a bit later to check on PCB resistance and chassis heat dissipation.

I tried really hard to get some quantitative data on how "bright" it is. We have a test hood at work that can give me brightness in Candela, but the light doesn't have a steady-burn mode...so I couldn't get super accurate readings.

In a double-double flash, the sensor recorded a median value of 24.2 Candela. In a "ludicrous flash" (it's like a really bright flicker), the sensor was consistently recording higher than 60 Candela. In my world, that's not very bright on paper. But I don't think our test rig is well suited to this type of product. This Viper knockoff has reflectors, and optics, and it's line-of-sight brightness will be much higher than it's overall brightness.

Typically, I see manufacturers advertise the power of the diodes in "Watts"...which is admittedly a bit deceiving because each diode is really only using a fraction of a watt each. If someone can clue me in to an actual industry standard of warning light brightness...I would love to know.

Last edited:
Please stay on topic. This thread is about the Viper knockoffs and is a user's personal review of it. Please create unique threads if you wish to review a similar (or different) product

I'd bet the farm the light you linked to is the same as what I bought on ebay. I found ZERO identifying markings on any of the components on the PCB. It would be impossible to distinguish one from another.

Update:
I sent two lights to Wilson to do an LED swap (turn a white/amber and red/red into a red/amber and red/white). Once I get those back, I'll install them and update further.

Reactions: Jsherman88
Yeah, I got everything back from Wilson (that guy is amazing).

Still haven't installed yet. Dept. SOGs say I'm good, but I want to clear it with Chief first.

Reactions: Tony P
... If someone can clue me in to an actual industry standard of warning light brightness...I would love to know.

If you can get a real S2, you could put it through your same test procedure (assuming you could get a similar pattern on it).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup