Federal Signal Federal Signal Aerodynic addition to the collection

I've had several different Aerodynics over the years and have sold every one of them except for one. I found a gentleman with this one local to me and traded him one of the Whelen Liberty bars that I had for it. It will need some elbow grease to polish up, but is in otherwise very nice condition with no cracks and is complete with the alley inserts!

1712454838963.jpeg1712454849342.jpeg1712454857485.jpeg1712454866597.jpeg

Interesting configuration, pretty close to the config of some FDNY bars I have seeen.

Cool bar! That is a very specific build in the fact that the takedowns/flashers are inboard and it mixes sealed beams with independent rotators. It reminds me of the FDNY Battalion Chief suburban lightbars, but not quite as loaded. I think the St. Paul origin is correct (good find), it's just an interesting choice of options.

As @JohnMarcson mentioned the similarity to the FDNY configured bars is pretty striking. I'm curious as to what the tag reads.

When I opened it up last, I could not find a visible tag.
The sealed beams are the main difference I see from the FDNY bars. The second is the lack of traffic clearing lights. I'm pretty sure you have the right source, the St. Paul bar is spot on.

Hi, I’m new here and was wondering if anyone with an Aerodynic could possibly give me the exact measurements of the dome. Just the width and height of the “oval,” not including the little FS nameplate at the bottom. I think it’s something around 12”x7”, but not sure. Thanks for the help.

Hi, I’m new here and was wondering if anyone with an Aerodynic could possibly give me the exact measurements of the dome. Just the width and height of the “oval,” not including the little FS nameplate at the bottom. I think it’s something around 12”x7”, but not sure. Thanks for the help.
Hi,

!2" wide, 6"high. Add another inch for the retaining part at the bottom. That's where you are thinking 7" from.

I am including the part of the oval around the edges where it bonds to the segments. Not the convex oval by itself. I'll remeasure if you wanted only the convex part by itself.

Stan

Hi,

!2" wide, 6"high. Add another inch for the retaining part at the bottom. That's where you are thinking 7" from.

I am including the part of the oval around the edges where it bonds to the segments. Not the convex oval by itself. I'll remeasure if you wanted only the convex part by itself.

Stan
No thanks, that’s perfect. I appreciate the help!

Hi,

My pleasure to be able to help. There isn't much discussed around here I know about. My time working on fire/rescue stuff was 1977 to 1997.

An AeroDynic is one of two lights I have around here to pull a measurement on.

Stan

Late night searching and I believe I found where this bar originated. St. Paul (MN) Police Department! Whether it came from this specific unit or not remains a mystery.

View attachment 252053
This picture brought back some mechanical nightmares. Those Chevy Astro Vans were always going to the shop..lol

Good job on the origin tracing

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miked1619