Wanted: Modern code 3 xl 5100 fast rotator worm gear

Check this thread, the OP is from Canada as well might be able to work something out.

Thanks.....i've already let a message in this thread.....just waiting some awnser from johnmarcson.......

Did you ever get this?
No. I completely forgot, remembered, forgot, then confused myself by noticing that the fast rotator I have from an XL is actually an LP rotator. Then I found another XL rotator that seemed fast but it was a 9v motor with regular gear. Now I am questioning what an XL fast rotator even is and if I have one... So no. I have failed.

xl fast.png

At least in the 1990s a fast rotator required a riser plate and could use half cylinder filters, which means they were LP6000 rotators. I thought I remembered fast full size XL rotators, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, sorry for the delay a failure to come through.

Center fast rotator, LP style on riser.
PXL_20240608_020237247.MP.jpg

Rotators with normal gearing... What I thought were resistors are actually for RF interference and have nothing to do with changing the speed of the rotator. So I believe there may have actually been fast gear full-sized rotators. I just can't find the documentation or an example.
PXL_20240608_020230319.MP.jpg

Was there a "fast gear" set for the XL Full-Sized rotator or was it LP rotators only and I've got some Mandela effect going?

Regardless, I have failed in providing the gears I said I had. I apologize.

Last edited:
I parted out a XL 5000 Bar and sold a fast rotator on ebay, the only difference I could see is the worm gear is black instead of white. I'll attach a slow speed rotator with the white worm gear.

Attachments

• 20240428_151811.jpg
    20240428_151811.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240428_151727.jpg
    20240428_151727.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1
An XL5000 fast rotator uses a different worm gear with fewer threads, and a different worm wheel with fewer teeth, than anything else pictured above. Have a look:

2kJOXoT.jpeg

H41A2ZE.jpeg

gCKm7CY.jpeg

mK5sQ4C.jpeg

Really depends on the vintage of the XL 5k bar. The earlier models with the Stainless Steel strip on top of the lenses you could swap a white worm gear with a black to make the rotator spin faster. On the later model XL 5K bars code 3 went the route of different speed motors like the one @shues posted above. I happen to have some black worm gears so I swapped one out on my old 5k for fun.

Older Rotators

Reactions: JohnMarcson
How does switching from the white worm gear to the black worm gear actually work to increase the number of rotations per unit time without also changing the worm wheel? Does the black worm gear have two starts and the white worm gear have only one start?

nqCKS6I.jpeg

Source: motioncontroltips.com

Looks like it to me, the Black Worm drive has two starts and the white has one. I took a couple close up pics in comparison.

20240609_121645.jpg20240609_121613.jpg

You're right! In my tub of MX7000 rotator motors, I have several with the black worm gear. That black worm gear does, in fact, have two starts:

Aq70WkM.jpeg

HJTVmzY.jpeg

xTsfEvy.jpeg

tKZLzz8.jpeg

BnLv8tJ.jpeg

HaVLPjy.jpeg

I have gone back and forth on "which way the did the speed" multiple times and identified "false memories" as the cause for my confusion. The fact that they actually did this multiple ways makes a lot more sense. I'm glad we now have some actual info to back that up.

Thanks @shues and @Master X

Now I don't feel so bad about my XL with the fast motors I swapped in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightbar startup